Jargon Buster



   Back to Top


Ways of judging how well pupils are progressing.


What pupils accomplish.


Back to Top


Behaviour, Emotional and Social Difficulties



Back to Top

Catchment Area

A defined geographical area from which a school takes its pupils.

Childrens' Support Services

This is a replacement for PRU and offers support for pupils with a medical need who cannot attend school.

Code of Practice

A guide to schools and Local Authorities (LAs) about the help they can give to children with special educational needs.

Connexions Service

A youth service providing advice, guidance, support and personal development for all 13 to 19 year olds.

Community Schools

Schools wholly funded by the Local Authority (LA).

Core Curriculum

English, Mathematics and a Science ~ those subjects which must be studied by all pupils.


All the courses and learning opportunities a school offers, or a course of study being followed by a child.



Back to Top


Department for Education and Skills: the government department responsible for education and adult skills.


The way in which the school’s curriculum and teaching methods are adapted to meet the needs of children.



Back to Top

Equal Opportunities

Chance for everyone to participate in school life/curriculum.


How well did it work?


Education Welfare Officer ~ a person employed by the LA to make sure that children are getting the education they need. They deal mainly with school attendance.


Exclusion means that your child may not attend lessons or go on to the school premises for a set period of time, or permanently in the case of expulsion.



Back to Top



Back to Top


General Certificate of Secondary Education.



Back to Top



Back to Top


Individual Education Plan ~ drawn up by a school’s SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator). It sets targets for a child to achieve and a date for a review of progress.


Information and Communication Technology ~ refers to the whole area of computers.


In-Service Education and Training. INSET days are set aside to allow teachers to update their skills and knowledge in order to raise pupil achievement.



Back to Top
Back to Top

Key Stage

Your child’s progress through school is measured in Key Stages. Key Stage 1 covers pupils from 5-7, Key Stage 2 from 7-11, Key Stage 3 from 11 to 14, Key Stage 4 from 14-16 and Key Stage 5 from 16-18.

Back to Top


Local Authority. A body responsible for providing education for pupils of school age in its area. It also has responsibility for early years, the youth service and adult education.

Learning Difficulty

If a child has a learning difficulty s/he finds it much harder to learn than most children of the same age do.


Learning Support Assistant. A non-teaching member of staff who helps to meet the educational needs of children.



Back to Top

Mainstream School

Any school that is not a special school or an independent school.


Moderate Learning Difficulties.



Back to Top

National Curriculum

The basic framework setting out what children aged 5 to 16 in state schools should learn.

National Curriculum Level

All pupils undergo teacher assessments at age 14. The school then sends a report telling you what levels your child has reached.



Back to Top

OFSTED (Office For Standards in Education)

The body which inspects state funded schools. OFSTED inspectors produce education reports to help improve schools

Back to Top


Do all pupils join in? Can they? Progress Continuous proven improvement


Do pupils move forward with their learning?


A Pupil Referral Unit is a centre that can provide part-time or full-time support for children who are currently not attending school or who need additional help with their behaviour or learning.

Back to Top



Back to Top



Back to Top

Support Staff

Members of school staff employed by the governors to provide Support staff services in school other than teaching, such as cleaners, administrators.

School Performance Tables

Available towards the end of the year to help parents whose children are moving to secondary school choose where they want them to go. You can ask at school for a copy for your local area.


Special Educational Needs. Learning difficulties, talents or other needs, for which a child requires special help.


Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator. The teacher in a school who is responsible for arranging the extra help for children with special educational needs. Our SENCO is Mr R Bradley.

Specialist School

Schools who use government grants and business sponsorship to improve their facilities and resources in languages, art, sport or technology. Sweyne Park School is a specialist Science College.


A child has a Specific Learning Difficulty if s/he has a problem with one or more areas of the curriculum, usually reading, writing, spelling and/or number work.


A document that sets out a child’s needs and all the extra help (provision) s/he should get.



Back to Top


BThe individual goals set for a child. Targets are a way of checking the child’s progress.



Back to Top



Back to Top



Back to Top

Work Experience

A system which allows students approaching the end of their secondary education the opportunity to take part in work placements.

Back to Top



Back to Top



Back to Top