Year Six into Year Seven
At Sweyne Park we recognise what a big step choosing a secondary school can be. Each year we review our practice to ensure we make the transition from primary school to secondary school as smooth and stress-free as possible. We have a highly experienced, dedicated team of staff supporting Year 7, including a permanent Head of Year 7, Marie Taylor, whose entire responsibility revolves around managing the move from primary to secondary and ensuring pupils are happy and successful at Sweyne Park from day one.
Our current transition offer includes:
- Regular liaison with all primaries/gathering of information on a range of areas such as friendship groups and academic ability
- Clubs and events held at Sweyne Park which pupils can experience when in Years 5 and 6 (e.g. Gifted and Talented Summer School, Science Challenge etc.)
- Teachers from Sweyne Park offering taster lessons in some local primaries (e.g. Design & Technology lessons)
- An innovative e-mentoring scheme whereby Year 6 pupils can e-mail questions, worries or concerns to Year 7 e-mentors in school.
- Induction Evening/Day in July for new Year 6 and a separate special ‘Small Schools Induction Day’ for pupils from smaller schools, or schools out of catchment, to ensure they make friends with other new pupils before the summer break
- For the first day at secondary school in September, only Year 7 are in for the morning, joined by Year 11 later in the day, but no other year groups
- All Year 7 have their lunch at a different time from the rest of the school for the first year (a free lunch is provided for all pupils on the very first day)
- As well as Year 11 prefects to support pupils, Year 8 buddies are also attached to tutor groups and escort pupils to and from lessons for the first two weeks.